Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 11 - iPad SDK download, Cocoa for Dummies, and Android SDK in Java

As of last night, I downloaded (still installing) the new SDK beta for iPad. I figure I should have the latest version. Apple seems insistent on using the iPad title, and it will likely have adopters for the device.

I continue to read and work through tutorials in the books I've purchased. I made the mistake of buying used the 2003 version of “Cocoa Programming for Dummies”. I find the book obsolete because the pictures in the book don't match the current software interface. You can't follow along. It's best NOT to work with earlier versions of books dealing with software because of the mismatch that occurs due to the rapid change in the software. This was a significant reason why I decided to go ahead and install the iPad SDK software because it is the latest version and I want to work with relevant, current materials.

As I have been spending significant time learning the facets of iPhone SDK 3.1.3, I began to have my doubts about developing for the iPhone over that of the Android.

Android is a newly released phone by Google. I'm a huge fan of both, Google and Apple. My loyalties reside with both. However, the advantage Android has over that of the iPhone for developers is the Android has far, far less apps built for it than the iPhone, which is oversaturated with a jumbled mess of apps, especially in the entertainment section.

Strategically, going into a market with little to no competition is a safe bet. You would stand out, receive more hits, have less competition, be found more easily and hit the ground floor in the newly evolving environment before others, which would give the app more prestige. So, why don't I just switch from iPhone SDK (C++ & Objective-C based) to the Android SDK (HTML & Java based)? It’s not as if I have more experience in one over the other.

First and foremost, the programming language is not the same. Android is build with Java and requires prior knowledge in HTML. Though, I'm new to programming and I have no other language knowledge, I have spent weeks and some coin on books for C++, Objective C, and Coca programming. "By Jove, I believe I'm getting it." It feels a little late turning back.

iPhone and iPad apps can only be made on Macs using the Xcode SDK. To switch now would feel like giving up. By the time I would have mastered Java and built a releasable app for the Android, there may be a significant number of apps already on the market for Android. Ultimately, I'm committed to doing this app build for iPhone and iPad. There will of course be areas of doubt, but staying the path seems reasonable. I could continue to switch over and over again as new versions of things are released, but that feels like ADD (attention deficit disorder).

The Apple SDK does permit a developer to create computer games for Macs working with the Mac OS X.6. There are by far fewer games for Mac computers than PC. So, there’s hope of entering an emerging market within Mac.

Read SDK Shoot Out Android vs iPhone http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/sdk-shoot-out-android-vs-iphone-074

On another note, I have discovered there is an order in which to read the SDK documentation. I suggest reading the HIG (Human Interface Guidelines) first. I didn't find much information on games creation in the HIG, but it still proves informative. Remember, the HIG does set the standards that Apple will judge and review your app. Then I would read "Cocoa Fundamentals" before reading "iPhone Programming Guidelines".

I do find the "Objective-C for Dummies" book extremely useful in breaking down the code terminology, explaining the interworking of the code. I’m actually reading the “Dummies” series over the Apple Dev Center documents because the “Dummies” books are easier on the eyes and friendlier writing. They should be they’re written for beginners.

1 comment:

  1. I like your describing style on this blog. I understand this very easily. And this is useful for everyone..Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete