Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 3

There is much to write, to study, to create. This app development process is intimidating and overwhelming. I have found so much material on the subject I feel like I'm swimming in information overload. As of last night, a reader left yet another document to read called "Building Photokast" found at www.scribd.com/doc/12684298/Building-PhotoKast-Creating-an-iPhone-app-in-one- month

Thanks, Christian, for this link. This doc is really, really good. It deals less with code and more with the principles behind User Interface (UI), application motivation, process development expectations, and customer service. It's an excellent document that I highly recommend.

I have continued to cull through materials, books, and videos. Ironically, as I begin this process, I am starting at the same time as Stanford University's class on iPhone App Development. (the link is listed below in iPhone Resources). Classes are on iTunes for free. Admittedly, students are required to have taken Objective-C before entering the class, so auditors like me who have no experience are at a slight disadvantage. Furthermore, these videos aren't permanent on iTunes. Stanford warns that they will be removing the videos after a couple of months.

But Stanford is just one of many, many tutorials out there. Furthermore, there are many blogs on the subject of building apps. Therefore, it begs the question, "Why create this blog?" Well, of the blogs, articles, tutorials, books, and web sites that I have seen, I have yet to stumble across one that really starts with someone as unfamiliar and wet-behind-the-ears on development, C++, Objective-C, and iPhone app creation as I am. Undoubtedly, there must be blogs out there with newbies like me writing about their journeys, but I haven't found them.

I still feel that all the information I come across has someone with some type of coding experience, game development or app creation background working on the app. Even the "iPhone Application Development for Dummies" book that states you do not need any iPhone or Mac development experience requires some coding experience. The author, Neal Goldstein, assumes the reader has some programming knowledge and familiarity with C++ and Objective-C.

To which I respond, "No, no I don't." That's the crux of the problem. Most blogs and sites don't really begin at the very start and that's where I am.

Literally, I feel like a beginner on every level and facet of app building. If the repetitive statement so readily found in these materials is that anyone can build an app, then I'm a good test for such a qualifier. I figure if I am able to accomplish this app thing, then quite literally anyone can.

It is the reason I'm spending so much of my time reading, researching and getting my hands on anything and everything to do with app building, rather than just diving into Xcode. Yesterday was spent watching videos on the subject and continuing to collate resources for the blog.

As I wrap this entry up, I will restate my enthusiasm again for the "Building PhotoKast" document. It provides a comprehensive overview of their development process with tips, advice and lessons learned. It's short and sweet, but I think it is an excellent document to READ FIRST before all other things. With so much information to get through, this is saying something.

Ultimately, it seems that at its core an app must fill a niche and engage the user to the point of addiction, while "telling a story" of some sort. Perhaps, that is the one area I'm not so callow in. Story telling is something I love to do and the idea that an app tells a story feels, at least to me, intuitive. This is why games immerse users.

Furthermore, it is advised to build apps for one of the seven deadly sins. (read "Building PhotoKast") This statement is an intriguing way to generalize a key design rule that acknowledges the importance of building apps that fulfill and create solutions that deal with the different areas of human needs and behaviors.

As soon as I receive my Snow Leopard upgrade, I'll download the SDK for Snow Leopard and begin the simple app tutorial. In the meantime, I continue to read, watch, and research information.

(I have added a significant number of new links in the resources section. Check them out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment