Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 4

Read. Read. Read. That has been my main objective and I've discussed this extensively. I emailed author, Neal Goldstein (neal@nealgoldstein.com) about the Objective C issue. The issue of my not having any experience, and he suggested I read "Programming C for Dummies" another book he wrote. He was exceptionally fast at responding to my email, which I greatly appreciated. I have ordered the book and I will add it to my growing list of materials.

Along with understanding the iPhone application development process, I have begun to identify and shape my application idea, core functions and scripting. This touches on an area I'm familiar with in story telling.

Designing the look of the interface and story-boarding the script for the application are exciting processes. Writing something down makes it so much more concrete and real. Psychologically, it is encouraging to feel that at this moment I can be productive. Rather than having to wait to acquire the skills to design physically the application, designing the idea out on paper generates that sense of forward motion and it's a prudent move.

By making a paper version of the application, quirks and problems are discovered. The process should also streamline coding when that time comes. I am a true believer in visualization. As an extension of visualizing, the paper process helps to create in my mind the look and feel of the application so that my actions lead me to the app's creation.

By researching and reading in tandem with designing, such issues as screen real estate, pixel allocation accommodating for "fat fingers", graphic simplicity and aesthetics are all kept prominently at the forefront of my mind.

Furthermore, by creating a statement of purpose for my application, I focus the idea that influences the app's core functions and abilities. Many people suggest to simplify apps to one core function and not to try and design an app with a slue of bells and whistles.

This sounds self-evident, but I believe people over-complicate apps because their idea for an app is weak and they are trying to mask this problem. But in the end, users will play with apps because they are immersed in the apps functions and services. To that end, beautifying an app that ultimately lacks substance will not prove successful. However, this formula for success is elusive. If it were that easy to create a true immersion experience then everyone would be doing it and all apps would be a hit.

Statistically, the majority of apps do not do well. Outside of the risk of financial recovery of development costs and the ability to make profits upon release, there are other risks associated to building apps.

You could build an app that Apple chooses NOT to publish in their app store. If that happens, you're dead in the water before you've begun. I haven't found a criteria list from Apple identifying the do's and don'ts for apps to ensure my app doesn't get squashed. If I find one I will most certainly post it here. This is probably one of the worse risks to app building.

Then there is the possibility that your app is never really seen or advertised and it gets lost among the thousands of apps out there. Presently, Apple doesn't sub-list in any general genre. For instance, in the entertainment section of the app store (the largest of all the listings) repetitive apps for hot babes and fart noises drown out other entertaining gaming apps. There are so many of each of these types of apps that it warrants Apple's attention to diversify their classifications further so that new apps don't disappear in the huge numbers of apps all thrown in together.

Also, there is the risk that your app receives revenge reviews from angry users or simply dissatisfied ones. Your app's rating is at the mercy of users. The only real way to beat this is to make an engaging and satisfying app from the start.

Well, that is easier said than done isn't it. Ultimately, creativity and ingenuity are the skills needed to be honed to a fine point in this industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment