Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 5

It seems I have had a break in the case so to speak. I decided to check out Lynda.com (I'm a long time subscriber to the tutorial hot spot). I was looking for Objective C tutorials, but what I found was something so amazing. A full course on iPhone App building in video tutorials. Gotta love Lynda.com for putting this out, but more importantly the guy whose teaches it.

Simon Alladice, a software developer with more than 30 years experience, is incredibly easy to understand and he breaks down everything so clearly. The tutorials are engaging and utilize a large touch screen viewing monitor where Simon interacts with the device to illustrate key points. It is easy on the eyes and ears by reducing app building step-by-step from the ground up. Although, he expects viewers to have some Objective C, C++, C# (sharp), Java, PHP or coding experience (again this issue of previous experience) he actually does take you through code with fluid ease. Whereas, I was expecting to have to muddle through, I find I can follow along and (here it comes) RETAIN the information. Wow! Kudos to Simon.

I was discussing the point that there is this idea that anyone wanting to create an app must seemingly have had coding experience. The person I was speaking to said that maybe it's because people who don't have coding experience would not think or want to build an app. There may be some truth to that. I suddenly decided and locked onto the idea to create my own app and at the time it seemed like a big jump mentally for me. However, was it? There are thousands of apps out there and people keep saying anyone can build one, perhaps I just finally took them literally.

Honestly, I have accepted that I will go at this app building business without any programming background and just dive in. I figure with enough exposure, repetitive directions and copious notes I would"get it" eventually. Only a few days in and yes, I would say I am beginning to get it.

I have also found a place that will build for you and/or consult with you on your app. I was actually contacted through twitter by AppLiya Studio in Japan. They offer app building for hire services at www.appliya-studio.com So should I become disillusioned, I can default to someone else to build the app I've dreamt of. Of course, that would defeat the purpose of this exercise and it would admit defeat. So I shall trudge on.

As of today, I have yet to receive my Mac OS up-grade and I keep peering out to see if the mailman has come. I don't want to download the SDK for Leopard, when Xcode 3.2 for Snow Leopard is thought to be so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment